Welcome to the Who Was Who for the Michigan beet sugar industry where you will find brief biographical descriptions of many of those who contributed either to the founding or to the advancement of one of Michigan's most enduring economic treasures-the beet sugar industry. For the time being, entrants to the Who Was Who is limited to the no longer living. Send names for inclusion via e-mail to this blog or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
President of American Sugar Refining Company (The Sugar Trust), associate of William H. Wallace, president of Michigan Sugar Company.
Achard, Anton William Waldemar (1825-1906)
He was the grandson of Franz Karl Achard, the Prussian chemist who was born in
Anton Achard migrated to America when he was twenty-four years old. He was an architect and builder. He settled on a farm near Saginaw, Michigan Anton Achard enjoyed a successful career in a number of enterprises that included banking, hardware, construction and architecture. He helped finance and promote the development of the early sugar beet industry in Michigan. He and his wife, Hulda became the parents of five children, Emil, Franz, Oscar, William and Clara.
Trained at the Caro factory under Charlie Sieland. Became a district superintendent for Holly Sugar Corporation.
Was Assistant Engineer at Saginaw Sugar Company, 1901. In 1903, Adams transferred to East Tawas as a Master Mechanic and 1904 took the same job at the Carrollton factory a position he held until 1907. He then became a Master Mechanic for the Holly, Colorado beet factory.
Allen, Jotham (1857-Unknown
Allen (whose name appears in some chronicles as Jetham), a native of Michigan,
operated a farm in Emerson Township near Alma, Michigan in 1898. His
experiments with sugarbeets caused him to become enthused for their potential. He
read all the current beet literature and corresponded with experts of the day. Employing
the sobriquet, Farmer Brown, he broadcast what he learned via public lectures
and writings. “Farmer Allen” columns appeared regularly in the Beet Sugar
Gazette under such titles as “Plain Talks” and “Chapters for Live Farmers;
Shiftless Farmers Please Don’t Read.” He
joined the Caro Sugar Company’s staff in 1899 for a short period for the
purpose of recruiting farmers to grow beets for the newly organized company and
its brand new factory. The
In 1901 he was elected president of
the Michigan Sugar Beet Agriculturists Association and in 1908 accepted the
Manager’s position at the Alma Sugar Company. He was noted for accomplishing
his tasks without the aid of anger, liquor, tobacco or profanity. The absence
of such qualities and habits was considered unusual during the era in which he
served the beet sugar industry. Wife:
Anna born 1863. Children: Edna
born 1884, Marshall, born 1887, Florence, 1890, and Margaret,1894.
beet sugar factory was completed the same year. Jetham Allen then joined the
Alma Sugar Company as its agriculturist. Alma
Marshall R. Allen was the son of Jotham Allen, famous in the 1899-1930 era as “Farmer Allen”. Jotham Allen promoted the development of beet sugar industry in Michigan and was instrumental in the construction of a beet sugar factory in Alma, Michigan. Allen Marshall graduated from Michigan State College in 1908 and immediately began employment at the Alma Sugar Company which had come under the control of Michigan Sugar Company two years earlier. Within the year, he was promoted to Chief Chemist. Two years later he was advanced to the position of Assistant Superintendent at the Sebewaing factory which was also owned by Michigan Sugar Company. Another two years passed and he was reassigned to the
The new sugar company was dissolved before the first brick was laid. Marshall Allen, demonstrating the integrity for which the Allen name was known, returned uncashed checks of the original investors and applied his $10,000 investment toward the organization costs. He applied for employment to Henry Vallez who was then constructing a beet factory in Mount Pleasant for Columbia Sugar Company. Vallez took him on as a member of the construction crew. By the next processing season, Marshall Allen had secured a berth as Superintendent of the Owosso factory which was managed by Charles D. Bell. It was Bell who hired out of college for his first job at Alma, at a rate of $.15 per hour plus “all the experience he could handle.”
He next spent several years in the cane industry, chiefly at what was then North America’s most luxurious and extensive cane sugar estate. In 1933 he accepted the superintendent’s job at the Holland Sugar Company, a job he held for four years after which he transferred to the management of a sugar factory in
Armbruster, Loren S. (December 5, 1917-1995)
Growers’ Field Secretary, Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association, 1951. Served five terms as a state representative for the 84th District (1973-1982). Son of Oscar Albert Armbruster, 1884-1957 and Edna May Golden. Born in Sebewaing, Huron County, Michigan. Was a School teacher; agricultural extension agent; served in the U.S. Army Air Force in World War II; served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean conflict.
Bach, Frank (1881-Unknown)Born in Michigan, 1881. Wife's name: Hattie. Superintendent, Sebewaing Sugar Factory, owned by Michigan Sugar Company, 1906-1932, General Superintendent of Michigan Sugar Company, 1932. Served as mayor of Sebewaing, Michigan for 20 years. Sources: U.S. Census, 1910
Factory Construction engineer employed by Kilby Manufacturing Company
Financial Manager, Continental Sugar Company, owner of Holland and St. Louis sugar factories as of 1926.
Bell, Charles D (1875-1947)
Charles D. Bell (no relation to Charles L. Bell who also appears in this listing) began his career in Alvarado, California, the site of the first successful beet sugar factory in the United States. He was born and raised in Los Alamos, California, graduated with a degree in chemical engineering from the University of California (1897) whereupon he began a long career in the sugar industry, first as chief chemist of the Alvarado factory. In 1900, he managed the La Grande, Oregon factory. He then created a pattern of superintending beet sugar factories for one year and then moving on. After a year at La Grande he spent a year respectively as superintendent at Waverly, Iowa, Washington, Carrollton, Michigan, two years at Kitchener, Ontario and three years at Alma, Michigan before settling in at the Owosso Sugar Company for 14 years beginning in 1910. He was the plant manager of Alma Sugar Company during the years 1905, 1906, and 1907. In 1908 he accepted the same position and responsibility at the Owosso Sugar Company. He ended his career at Owosso (Following that company's acquisition by Michigan Sugar Company.). It was then he gathered his wife, Esther, his sons, John and Richard and his daughter, Ann, and returned home to California where he assumed control of the family's extensive ranch. According to Daniel Guttleben in his chronicle, The Sugar Tramp – 1954, page 200, Bell had the good fortune of discovering an oil dome on the ranch property and became an overnight millionaire.
Bell, Charles L (September 28, 1919 – June 15, 2001)
Charles L. Bell was born September 28, 1919 in Jackson, Michigan, the son of Perry and Lena (Marshall) Bell. Following graduation from Jackson Community, he joined the Eighth Army Air Force in England, serving during the years 1942-1945. He then enrolled at Michigan State University where he graduated with a B.A. degree in business administration. Following graduation, he joined the Lufkin Rule Company in Saginaw, Michigan and in 1956, joined the Robert Gage Coal Company, the then parent company of Monitor Sugar Company as its chief accountant. He was named Controller in 1969 and vice-president in 1975. He became President and chief operating officer in 1978. It was during his term of office that Monitor Sugar Company added bulk sugar storage capacity and began an expansion program that would, within three years, double the factory’s output. He took a lead role in negotiating the sale of Monitor Sugar Company to Barlow Rand Ltd in 1982. He retired in 1984. (Sources: Saginaw News, Sat. June 16, 2001 C7 and Saginaw News, June 18, 2001, A2, Sweet Energy, The Story of Monitor Sugar Company, by Thomas Mahar)
He married Dorothy Bricker on September 11, 1948. The couple became the parents of three children, Jeffery, Marcia, and Laurie.
BENTLEY, Alvin M (Oct 20, 1858- October 1, 1917)
A founding shareholder in Owosso Sugar Company. His son was Alvin M. Bentley, Jr (b. 1894 d. 1918) who married Helen Webb Patterson in April 1917 in
Bewick, Charles (August 12, 1836-May 13, 1915)
Born Karl Bewig of unknown parents, Charles Bewick immigrated to the United States in 1858 at the age of 22. He was the first president of the Sanilac Sugar Company situated in Croswell, Michigan and was a major investor in a similar factory in Caro, Michigan and was a major investor and vice-president of the East Tawas Sugar Company located in East Tawas, Michigan. Previously he founded the Bewick-Comstock Lumber Company of Alpena, Michigan where he carried on business for 25-30 years. He transferred his business interests to Detroit where he became involved in shipbuilding. He married, first, Lizzie Wright. Four children resulted, Richard, William, Bessie, and Harriet. Lizzie died in 1883 after which he married Emily Bridge, the widow of Robert Young. The second marriage produced one child, Grace Emily who married Martin Mower of Harvard University. Sources: Daniel Gutleben’s Sugar Tramp-Michigan, 1954, death certificate, and Wayne County and the City of Detroit by S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago-Detroit, 1930.
Bialy, Abraham D (1865-1953)
Assisted his brother Mendel in the operation of West Bay City Sugar Company. Carried the title, Official Secretary. His wife, Sarah, was a teacher in the Bay City Public School system. One daughter, Marion was born in 1906. (Source: 1930 United States Federal Census)
Bialy, Mendel J (1852-1948)
Founder of West Bay City Sugar Company. A native of
Bialy, Robert C
Co-founder of West Bay City Sugar Company. A hardware merchant who invested in his brother's company and then served on the first board of directors. Source: The Sugar Tramp-1954 by Daniel Guttleben.
BLESCH, Gustavus (January 4, 1859-1947 )
BLISS, Aaron T (1837-September 6, 1906)
Co-founder of the Carrollton, Michigan and Lansing, Michigan factories. Born in Smithfield, Madison County, New York on May 22, 1837. He was the seventh child of Lyman and Anna (Chaffee) Bliss. He spent his early life on the farm, obtaining his education in the little schoolhouse nearby. Afterward, he served as a retail store clerk until he entered the Union army as a private in 1861. He quickly became an officer and was then promoted to captain following the second battle of Bull Run. After the war, as Colonel Bliss, he moved to
Blood, F. C.
Member of the Marine City Citizens Committee formed for the purpose of attracting investors to
BOSTOCK, Edward Crary (October 29, 1884- September 13, 1960)
Was the treasurer of Owosso Sugar Company until 1934 when he was elected President of Michigan Sugar Company, a position he held until 1940 when he became chairman of the company and Geoffrey Childs became president.
BRADLEY, NATHAN (May 28,1831-November 8, 1906)
Brock, Arthur J (?-1939)
Educational Director and Editor for Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association. Popular public speaker and writer. Authored The Story of Beet Sugar from the Seed to the Sack in 1933.
Brock, Jack D
Director of Publicity and Advertising for Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association. Son of Arthur J. Brock. Served five years in the U.S. Army, emerging as a captain.
Factory operator, Michigan Sugar Company, 1908.
Bradford, George M
A graduate of
Bradley, Nathan B (May 28,1831-November 8, 1906)
Promoted the development of the beet sugar industry. He spoke to farmer groups throughout the state and encouraged them to become sugarbeet farmers. Was a founding shareholder of Michigan Sugar Company. In 1865, Nathan Bradley became the first mayor of Bay City. A year later he won appointment to the Michigan State Senate and in 1872 began the first of two terms in the United States Congress, the 43rd and 44th, representing the Eighth Congressional District. He was born in Lee,
Brown, Charles W (June, 1858-unknown)
Major founding shareholder of Owosso Sugar Company. President of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. Wife Alice G, born, 1858, children, Mary A, b 1886, Jacob R 1888, Theodore F 1890, Alice G, 1892, Charles W, born 1895.
Secretary of the Marine City Citizens Committee formed for the purpose of attracting investors to Marine City for the purpose of constructing a beet sugar factory.
Brown, James O (1901-1967)
James O. Brown was employed as the Chief Engineer for Monitor Sugar Company. He was born April 13, 1901 at North Star, Michigan and died in March, 1967.
Bruggemann, Rudolph (Sugar Tramp-1954 plate III)
Assistant Superintendent, Crosswell Sugar Factory, 1914, owned by Michigan Sugar Company.
Brysselbout, Emile E. (1862-1913)
Emile Cornil Eli Brysselbout was born in September 3, 1862 in Spycker in the Bourbourg region near
Emile Brysselbout eventually operated the new factory in Chino, California after serving for a short period in Spreckel’s Western Refinery. The need for additional resource people caused him to suggest his wife’s young brother, Henri Vallez for employment in the
In 1891, Emile transferred to a sugarbeet factory in Grand Island, Nebraska where he worked for about seven years. It was also during this period that he became involved with the distillation of alcohol from sugarbeet molasses and is credited for conducting the first successful operation in the
In 1897, investors in Michigan undertook the construction of the first sugarbeet factory in Michigan. It was to be situated in Essexville, a suburb of
In 1901, Brysselbout became a partner in the firm of the American Construction and Supply Company that was given a contract to construct a new sugar factory at Sebewaing, Michigan. He oversaw the construction of the factory.
In 1905, Emile Brysselbout departed Michigan for Garden City, Kansas where he supervised the construction of a sugarbeet factory for the United States Sugar and Land Company. He died there in 1913. His body was taken to
Credit for the foregoing is attributable to Patricia Bergevin, 12/4/1975, Daniel Gutleben’s Sugar Tramp-1954, and the American Sugar Industry, obituaries, November 1913 and to Sue David of Bay City, Michigan.
Boutell, Benjamin (August 14, 1844-October 26, 1912)
Of all the men and women who invested their lives and their fortunes in the founding of Michigan’s beet sugar industry, few did it with more energy and boldness than did Benjamin Boutell. He was born in
In time his roster of tugboats would make him the largest handler of logs on the waterways would earn him the respect of sailors and lumberjacks alike. His boats, the “Annie Moiles”, the Sea Gull and the “Westover”. Early on he was addressed as Captain Boutell. He married Amelia Charlotte Dutlinger of
The newly developing beet sugar industry captured his imagination. In partnership with Captain James Davidson, a man who like himself, earned a fortune on
Next he helped organize the Lansing Sugar Company, becoming its president and general manager. He also became the vice-president of the Saginaw Sugar Company and the Carrollton Sugar Company, both of which he sponsored with sizable investments. He also invested in the Macomb Sugar Company, the Menominee Sugar Company, West Bay City Sugar Company and the Marine City Sugar Company. He once told Joseph Kilby, the president of Kilby Manufacturing Company, a company that constructed more beet sugar factories in the United States than did any other company, that anytime Kilby had an order for a factory, he was to put Boutell’s name down for $50,000. With the exception of a beet sugar factory built in
His interest was not limited to Michigan. In addition, he helped found two companies in Colorado, Eaton Sugar Company and Windsor Sugar Company. He served as president of both companies. He also helped found Wallaceburg Sugar Company in
Amelia died in 1902. Benjamin suffered an injury while a passenger on a train in Canada. He did not recover from his injury and died in 1912.
Boutell, Lorenzo S (1868-)
Born in Deerfield, Livingston County, Michigan, father Chancy Boutell, a brother of Benjamin Boutell. Participated in the organization of Bay City Sugar Company, was its first secretary.
Buelow, H. V.
Agricultural manager, Marine City Sugar Company, 1901. Originally from Detroit. He was attracted to
He was a construction engineer employed by the Kilby Manufacturing Company. In 1902, he supervised the construction of the
Bush, Fred (1883-)
Superintendent at St. Louis factory 1933. Also worked at Blissfield and Owosso factories in addition to Grand Junction, Colorado. Began as a waterboy in the construction crew of during the construction of the Holland factory in 1899. Worked also at Benton Harbor, Blissfield and Owosso.
Buschlen, M. J.
Agriculture Supervisor, Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association, 1937-1946.
Carpenter, Luther (1877-1949)
He was born August 31, 1877 in Port Dover, Ontario and died May 25, 1949 in
Carpenter, William O
President of Menominee Sugar Company, 1905. Lumberman.
Carrick, ArthurCarroll, Michael
Assisted in the installation of centrifugals at Bay City Sugar Company under Frank O’Brien. Would go on to become factory superintendent at
Was the agriculturalist for the East Tawas beet factory 1903-1905.
Chief Chemist, Michigan Sugar Company, 1901-1904. His career continued in
Chapman, Lewis - (Unknown – 1949)
Graduated from the University of Michigan after serving in the U.S. Navy during World War I. Engineer, Michigan Sugar Company. Appointed General Engineer in 1935.
Superintendent, Mount Clemens factory, 1950
Childs, Geoffrey (July 29, 1892- December 6, 1956)
Born in Media, Pennsylvania, July 29, 1892, son of Walter Childs. Attended
He served as president and director of the Saginaw Chamber of Commerce and was also a past president of the Saginaw Rotary Club and the Saginaw Community Chest and Michigan Welfare League. From 1942 to 1946 he was city chairman of the Saginaw War Chest and during World War II served as vice-chairman of the Saginaw County War Board. Married Olivia Waelchli June 15, 1915 in
A beet factory chemist who gave credit for his training to Marinus Klaverweiden who was the Assistant Chief Chemist of West Bay City Sugar Company in 1902. Chron later became Chief Chemist, a position he held until 1936 when the factory became permanently closed.
Church, Bayard A (November 10, 1865-April 29, 1944)
He was cashier of the Gratiot County State Bank, at St. Louis, Michigan, and a successful promoter, as well as a substantial supporter of several of the city's most flourishing industries, was born on a farm near Naples, Maine, November 10, 1865, a son of John M. and Cordelia A. (Hasty) Church. The mother of Mr. Church was a native of
Bayard A. Church, the eldest of the family, accompanied his parents to Elsie and to St. Louis, the latter having been his home since 1876, with the exception of two years which he spent in travel in the West. Even when a boy he was his father's "right hand man," assisting him in his mill, in his grocery store and in the post office, giving his services to the government work, out of school hours, quite constantly from 1881 to 1884. In the latter year he graduated with the first class of the St. Louis high school, and afterward took a prominent part in the doings of the Alumni Association as well as in the general progress of the city schools. During 1885 he was assistant postmaster under Rev. Theodore Nelson and practically had charge of the office. After leaving the post office Mr. Church took a trip South, spending one winter in
On January 1, 1891, Mr. Church became a clerk in the First National Bank at
Mr. Church's long connection with this bank made him well known to almost every capitalist in Gratiot county. As a financier he stood high, while his personal character gained him the confidence of all who had dealings with the bank he represented. He is identified with the city's leading interests and was the only resident director of the St. Louis Sugar Company, the largest business enterprise of the city. It was largely through his exertions and influence that the plant was located in
Politically Mr. Church was identified with the Republican party, and always took a deep interest in political matters in Gratiot county. He was one of the leading members of the Masonic fraternity in the State of Michigan and advanced to some of its most honorable and important positions. He was past master of St. Louis Lodge, No. 188, F. & A.M., St. Louis; past high priest of St. Louis Chapter, No. 87, R.A.M., St. Louis; past thrice illustrious master of St. Louis Council, No. 68, R. & S.M., St. Louis; eminent commander of Ithaca Commandery, No. 40, K. T., Ithaca, Michigan; past worthy patron of St. Louis Chapter, No. 144, O.E.S., St. Louis; most illustrious grand master of the Grand Council of Michigan, and representative of the Grand Council of California. He attained the thirty-second degree in Scottish Rite Masonry, and belongs to the Shrine.
Mr. Church was married March 10, 1891, to Miss Carrie M. Thedgar, who was born February 27, 1866, in
Churchill, Howard, L (January 22, 1878-?)
Churchill, Worthy, L (December 14, 1839-?)
CLAUSE, William A (November 6, 1858-October 7, 1931)
A major founding shareholder in Owosso Sugar Company. Organized the Diamond Plate Glass Company in 1889 at
Cranage, Samuel P (September 26, 1865-)
Attended schools in Bay City, was in the first graduating class of Central High School. Attended
He also served as secretary-treasurer of the Croxton Steamship company, again serving until 1912. He served as a director of Michigan Sugar Company (1907) and in 1914 was named Director of Columbia Sugar Company. He served as president of the
Cranage, Thomas (July 21, 1833-March 5, 1911)
Crawford, Fred Lewis (May 5, 1888- April 13, 1957)
Born in Dublin, Erath County, Texas, son of William C and Isabella Crawford. Sister, Mattie (Mae) a school teacher, born 1885, brothers William C, born 1875,
Cressey, Edward Wilson (1866-1936)
He was born in
In 1901 he transferred his allegiance to the German-American Sugar Company where he became Secretary and shortly thereafter became the company’s general manager, a position he held until control of the business transferred to new investors in 1931. He then became secretary-treasurer of the Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association. Along with John Ross, Justin Wentworth, and Henry Vallez, he guided the German-American Sugar from its rocky beginnings to its ultimate success as a company respected for its technological advances and business expansion. In 1910, the management team constructed a modern sugar beet processing facility in
COLLINGS, George E (1854-1941)
Founder of the Blissfield factory, member of the board of directors, Dow Chemical Company.
Colwell, Augustus Warren (February 5, 1842-January 2, 1917)
Educated at the College of the City of
Cormany, Charles E
Pioneer Agricultural Supervisor, Farmers and Manufacturers Beet Sugar Association, served from 1933-1936 when he then accepted a position as chief agronomist for Holly Sugar Company.
Coryell, Charles (September 2, 1865-June 26, 1960)
Born in Petrolia, Ontario, Canada to John and Elizabeth (Carnel) Coryell. His father dug oil wells and then salt wells. He moved his family to Bay City, Michigan when Charles was an infant. His father was born in New Market, Ontario; his mother in Devonshire, England in 1843. He joined with Robert Gage a Welsh coal miner and Francis W. Urch to form Robert Gage Coal Company in 1900 and the Monitor Sugar Company in 1932. Robert Gage operated 14 coal mines. Charles became president in 1919 upon the death of Robert Gage.
Served as chair of the combined interests until his death in 1960. He was affiliated with the Free and Accepted Masons, both the York and Scottish rites. He was a member of the Knights Templar and held the 32nd degree. He maintained a winter home in Miami Beach and a summer home in Algonac, Michigan. He enjoyed deep-sea fishing and yachting. He married Elizabeth Cunning who was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. She died in 1915. He then married Clift Campau in 1920. Six children, Jane, who married Drury L. Porter, Ida, who married C.M. Ambrose, John A, who became vice-president of Monitor Sugar Company. John married Susan Sheldon, Charles A, who served in various executive capacities, including president of Monitor Sugar Company, chairman of the board, and President of Peoples National Bank. He married Helen Cornwell of Saginaw.
Coryell, Charles A (1894-1977)
Director Robert Gage Coal Company and Monitor Sugar Company, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Monitor Sugar Company. Also served as the company’s president. Active in various capacities from 1916 until his death which occurred in 1977. Served 61 years. He married Helen Cornwell of Saginaw. They had three children.
Coryell, Charles A, Junior (June 5, 1930- March 1, 2012)
Director, President and Chairman of the Board of Directors, Monitor Sugar Company. Served from 1952 until 2004. (The following was taken from the Bay City Times) He was born in Bay City on June 5, 1930 to the late Charles A. and Helen (Cornwell) Coryell. Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Coryell, 3 children: Andy (Carrie) Coryell, Jeff (Niki) Coryell and Helen (Fiance Al Martinez) Coryell; 5 step children Dennis (Fiancee Tammie Cornell) Julian, Greg (Molly) Julian, Susan (Steven) Finkbeiner, Jim (Leslie) Julian and Bill (Katie) Julian; 13 grandchildren; 4 great grandchildren; and 2 sisters, Barbara Devor and Elizabeth Feldmann. He was preceded in death by his first wife Grace Coryell and 2 children, Charles Coryell and Mary Coryell. Charles was a member of First Presbyterian Church where he served as an Elder, Trustee and Deacon. He served as a Director of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Bay County and as a Director of the United Way. He served as a Trustee and former President of Bay Medical Foundation. Other memberships include the Saginaw Bay Yacht Club and Bay City Lodge No. 88 B.P.O.E. Prior to retirement he was a partner in Salling- Hanson, Chairman of the Board of Peoples National Bank & Trust Co., President and C.E.O. of Monitor Sugar, President & C.E.O. of Robert Gage Coal Co. and a Director of Newcor. Funeral service will be Tuesday at 11 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Dr. Jeffrey D. Weenink will officiate. Burial will be at Elm Lawn Cemetery.
Coryell, John (born___, died 1961)
Director Robert Gage Coal Company and Monitor Sugar Company. Also served as the company’s president for a brief period (1959-1961) . Active in various capacities from 1909 until his death in 1961. Served 52 years. Married Susan Sheldon, no children. Member of the Bay City Country Club and the Saginaw Club.
A plant engineer at
Was an orphan. He built a row-boat for use in ferrying sailors to the grain ships anchored in
Davidson Shipbuilding Company (1871 - 1929)
by Alan Flood (August 2003)
Davidson, James E. (December, 1864 – 1947)Inherited Davidson properties, director of German-American Sugar Company and successor, Columbia Sugar Company. He owned a 100% interest in the Mount Clemens Sugar Company, Also, he was a Director of Monitor Sugar Company. Wife, June, born June 1865 and son Edward, born December 1899
Assistant Superintendent, Carrollton factory, owned by Michigan Sugar Company, 1914
DeGEUS, Jacob (September 17, 1854 –October 1947)
Born in S’Gravendeel in the Netherlands. Immigrated to the
Demuth, William (Dad)
Construction Superintendent during the construction of Bay City Sugar Company, Essexville, Michigan in 1898 and the Alma Sugar Company in 1899. He began his career in the lumber industry where he attained craftsman status as a millwright. In 1915 he was elevated to Superintendent of the
Construction Foreman during the construction of Bay City Sugar Company,
DEWEY, Edmund Otis (August 24, 1861-?)
Born in 1861 in
DEWING, WILLIAM SHELDON (9/17/1845-1929)
First president of the Kalamazoo Sugar Company
DEWING, CHARLES A
Charles A. Dewing shared many business interests with his brothers, William S, and James. He, too, invested in the paper industry, including Superior Paper and King Paper, and served as the first treasurer for the Kalamazoo Stove Company. He was an early investor in Kalamazoo’s automobile industry as a partner in the Michigan
Automobile Company and was a principal organizer of the Kalamazoo Beet Sugar Company that sought to develop sugar-beet agriculture and processing. That business failed but its sugar refinery, located several miles north of town on the river, was later the home of the Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Co. Today, the downtown W. S. Dewing Building and Kalamazoo College’s Dewing Hall are among the last visible traces of this intriguing family. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, however, they contributed significantly to the economic development of Kalamazoo.
Assistant Factory Superintendent for Detroit Sugar Company’s
Donaldson, Andrew T
First president of the Macomb Sugar Company. Also, president of Citizens Savings Bank and Donaldson Brothers (manufacturers of farm implements).
He first appeared as lime kiln and carbonator station operator for the Essexville factory. In 1900, he was loaned by that company to West Bay City Sugar Company to assist them in operating similar stations. Later, he advanced to the position of Superintendent at Michigan Sugar Company’s Carrollton Sugar Factory. Inec 1903 he became superintendent of the Sebewaing sugar factory, then under the direction of William Wallace. He developed the habit of remaining in the factory 24-hours per day during the sugar campaigns. Became General Superintendent of Michigan Sugar Company in February, 1913 upon the death of Superintendent, Edward Hopkins who had died as the result of a skull fracture when stepping from a streetcar onto an icy surface. Later employed by Henry Vallez to install his Triple Osmosis process in sugar beet factories.
Drawe, John (June 21, 1856-unknown)
Chairman of the Marine City Citizens Committee formed for the purpose of attracting investors to
Dumont, Joseph C
Construction Engineer for the building of the Kalamazoo Sugar Company, 1899.
Duston, J. C.
First vice-president and general manager of Marine City Sugar Company, May, 1901.
Member of the Marine City Citizens Committee formed for the purpose of attracting investors to
Dwyer, Charles (Sugar Tramp-1954 plate III)
Dyer, Henry S (August 19, 1864- March 29, 1936)
Served variously as a member of beet sugar factory construction crews and as superintendent of completed factorties, including the ill-fated Benton Harbor, Michigan factory (1901-1903)
Eckert, Joseph S (1869-after 1949)
Born in the Bavarian
He was assigned as Construction Engineer for the construction of a beet sugar factory built in
Superintendent of the Essexville factory for Michigan Sugar Company-1914-
Superintendent of the Lansing beet sugar factory 1915-1916
Superintendent of Blissfield beet sugar factory-1917-1922
Superintendent of Ottawa, Ohio beet sugar factory where he refined 11,000 tons of raw cane sugar from Puerto Rica. He melted 100,000 pounds of cane sugar with each 1,000 tons of sugarbeets. He incurred difficulty in filtering the material. He may have developed the idea from Alfred Musy who tried a similar experiment in
Son of James and Mary Edgar. educated in Detroit Seminary; Detroit Home and Day School; graduate Michigan Military Academy, 1892; graduate Cornell University, degree B. Sc., chemistry, 1897; married at Washington, D. C., Dec. 5, 1900, Mary McComas. Began business career with Detroit Gas Works, 1897. Grandson of the founder of the Edgar Sugar Brokerage firm of Detroit, Michigan. Director First National Bank, Michigan Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Hargreaves Manufacturing Co. Member American Chemical Society, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Kappa Alpha fraternity. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, University, Country, Detroit Boat, Automobile. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 72 Jefferson Av. Residence: 188 Iroquois Avenue. Was a stockholder in Continental Sugar Company of Cleveland, Ohio. He acquired a large block of the company’s stock in 1914 and became the company president. Continental owned a beet sugar factory in
Eldred, Hugh Boyce (1913-1999)
Former President of Michigan Sugar Company, 1956-1963, Executive Vice-President, Monitor Sugar Company, 1963-1975. Born December 14, 1913 in
First appeared as an engineer in sugar refineries in the eastern United States. He was the chief engineer, representing the construction firm of
The Leader is an official organ of the Republican party in this section and reaches a great number of readers, the subscription list having over twelve hundred names. Mr. Everden's services were in a measure recognized by his party in his appointment to the office of deputy State oil inspector in 1899 and 1901, a position that he admirably filled. He took a deep and practical interest in all movements which promised to advance the industrial and commercial standing of his city, serving as the first secretary of the St. Louis Sugar Beet Company, and for four years as secretary of the St. Louis Board of Trade. Locally he also took a very prominent part in educational and reformatory movements, and on all occasions was ready to perform his part in advancing the interests of the community. He served from 1884 to 1887 as a member of the county board of school examiners.
Mr. Everden was married, June 24, 1890, to Miss Anna M. Bahlke, a native of Michigan, and to them was born one son, Raymond J. Everden. Fraternally, he was a member of the Masonic order.
When twenty years of age he entered the Germany Army, serving one year, and in 1882 he came to America, and after spending Two years in Chicago and in different places in Dakota and Omaha, Nebraska. He moved to Grand Island in Hall County. The following are some of the principal buildings on which he has worked: The Grand Island city hall, Michelson Block, Catholic Church,
Fenske, WilliamEngineer, Croswell Sugar Factory, 1914 owned by Michigan Sugar Company
Fisher, Spencer Oliver (February 3, 1843-June 1, 1919)
Fellows, ThomasSupervisor, Mount Clemens Sugar factory-1925. Was present when the factory was expanded to 1,000 ton capacity.
Flegenheimer, Albert (1890-1972)Albert Flegenheimer, a native of
Foley, Wilbur D (1910-2003)At the onset of America’s involvement in World War II in 1941, Wilbur Foley was working at General Motors. He had completed two years of college. He enlisted in the army where he served in the officers ranks until 1946. He was discharged as a reserve Lieutenant Colonel and joined Monitor Sugar Company in an administrative capacity. Within seven years, he was judged a master sugar craftsman and was advanced to the post of factory superintendent following the exit of Thomas Neering who had suffered an illness that compelled early retirement. In 1967, he was elected Vice-President of Operations of Monitor Sugar Company, a newly created office.
He was born on November 5, 1853 in Blackford County, Indiana, one of ten children of John and Achsah Fordney, natives of Pennsylvania.
Frenkl, Johann HIn 1899, Johann H. Frenkl was named assistant to Mendal Bialy, the president of West Bay City Sugar Company. He became Superintendent, Marine City Sugar Company, 1901. Had trouble controlling lumberjacks who worked in the factory. Was badly injured when one dropped a bucket of molasses on his head. Unable to finish the campaign because of his injury. Eli Vaupre took his place. Lumberjacks feared Vaupre’s temper.
Gagner, Arthur J (1879-1958)He was born June 28, 1879 in
First employed at German-American Sugar Company in 1905. He began his career as a laborer in the diffusion station which was then called a “battery”, a complex web of tanks and valves marked by temperatures ranging from 100 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Eventually, he advanced to Superintendent and retired from that position in 1951. During his period of service he assisted in the management of Isabella Sugar Company beginning in 1932 when it fell under the control the same group of investors who controlled Monitor Sugar Company.
Gallagher, ThomasKnown as “Colonel” Gallagher, he was President of Continental Sugar Company prior to its acquisition by James Larowe and Edgar. In 1924, he announced that after 27 years if research he made discoveries that would increase the output of sugar in the
Gates, RobertThe first master mechanic for German-American Sugar Company (Later named Columbia Sugar Company and renamed Monitor Sugar Company in 1931.)
“Across the river from the Alpena Lumber Co., stands the mill of F.W. Gilchrist, containing 1 gang, 1 circular, edgers, slab saws and lath machine. This mill has a cutting capacity of 9,000,000 feet per year. Number of men employed, 50. Full stock of logs on hand.”
Above quoted from "COMPLETE HISTORY"
Assistant Superintendent for Continental Sugar Company’s
Assistant Superintendent at
General Field Manager and chief agriculturist for Monitor Sugar Company 1936-1966.
He was born February 22, 1895 and died September 13, 1966. He had retired in March, 1966 but had remained on call in the capacity of a consultant.
Gossler, JamesAppointed Chief Engineer of Monitor Sugar Company in 1950 (Sugar Tramp-1954, page 134)
Green, Harry JPresident,
Gutleben, Dan (1878-1969)Daniel Gutleben was born October 5, 1878, the son of a Lutheran minister. He married Miriam Church, the sister of
1961 – The
1962 - The
He was born on April 26, 1892 in
Handy, Thomas L (February 4, 1866-1922)President and General Manager of Handy Brothers of Bay City, Michigan, founder of Independent Sugar Company, formerly Marine City Sugar Company and formerly owned by Western Sugar Refining Company of
He was born February 4, 1866 in Decatur, Illinois, the third son of Thomas and Mary Handy. His middle name,
He married Harriet Emery. The Handys had four children, Dorothy, Thomas, Jr, Hiram and Paul.
One of the founding members of Michigan Sugar Company in 1897.
One of the founding members of German-American Sugar Company in 1901. He was the third president of German-American Sugar Company (1904-1907) and served as a director during the years 1901-1907 and again during the years 1915-1927. He was of average height, slim, and wore a mustache that dropped around the corners of his mouth.
He was born in Denmark in 1846. He attended school until the age of 14. Following a period of service on his father’s farm and a failed business enterprise, he departed for
After a four-month stint as a farm laborer near Racine, Wisconsin, he moved to Manistee, Michigan where he took employment that quickly led to a supervisor’s post. Two years later, having accumulated a small sum of money, he associated himself with Ernest N. Salling in the business of buying and selling timber. He was now a lumberman and would remain one throughout his life and during that time would associate with a number of partners who would include Nels Michelson, Ernest Salling, James Davidson, Justin Wentworth and many others. He eventually owned individually or through the companies he controlled, more than 80,000 acres of timber, much of it hardwood and operated major sawmills in a number of
On September 1867 he married Margarethe. The couple parented five children, Thorwald, Espern, Oscar, Matilda, and Margretha.
In 1916, he enlisted the expertise of an architect from Huntingdon, England to build his home at the highest point on the city’s ridge in Huntington Woods, a subdivision of Detroit, Michigan.
Information was derived from the Sugar Tramp-1954 by Daniel Gutleben and from an early edition of the Beet Sugar Gazette and the History of Huntington Woods.
The following was copied from Wikipedia.com:
“Havemeyer, who was born in New York City, inherited sugar refining entities and expanded them with assistance from his brother, Theodore Havemeyer. His companies controlled sugar refining of the United States at the time of his death.
After three years (1865–68) of training in the Havemeyer business of sugar refining in the north-west area of Williamsburgh, Brooklyn, he became a partner in the family firm of Havemeyers and Elder at the age of 22. After a fire destroyed the firm's refinery in Brooklyn in 1882, Henry and his brother Theodore built, on the same site, the largest plant in the country, which became the centerpiece of the Sugar Trust in 1887. In 20 years he became the most expert merchandiser of sugar in the industry's most competitive period. Henry was known as the Sugar King, the country's dean of refiners. In 1891 he was made president of the American Sugar Refining Company serving until his sudden death in 1907 at age sixty. During this time the company controlled 80 percent of the sugar refined in the nation and his name became synonymous with the industry.
In 1897 Havemeyer was brought to trial for contempt of court for refusing to answer the questions put to him by a committee of the United States Senate investigating the amount of donations his company had made to national and state political campaigns in 1892 and 1893. He was found not guilty and the indictment was dismissed. In November 1907, a raid of the docks at the Havemeyer plant in Brooklyn by the U.S. Treasury Department revealed that the scales were not accurate and the firm had significantly underpaid import duties. The case against the American Sugar Refining Company was brought to federal court in New York in 1908, and was won by the government in 1909.
On December 4, 1907, shortly after the raid, Henry Havemeyer died unexpectedly at his home in Commack, Long Island. Funeral services were held at his home at 1 East Sixty-Sixth Street officiated by Rev. Dr. R. Heber Newton, an Episcopalian minister. Havemeyer was buried at Green-Wood Cemetery.”
Havemeyer oversaw the acquisition of several Michigan beet factories and organized Michigan Sugar Company in 1906 which then consisted of factories in Carrollton, Sebewaing, Croswell, Caro, Alma, and Bay City. At the time, Havemeyer also controlled factories in East Tawas, Menominee, and Blissfield.
New York City Directory 1890:
Havemeyer Henry O. sugar, 117 Wall, h 34 E. 36th
Havemeyer Sugar Refining
Havemeyer Theodore A. refiner, 117 Wall, & consul, 31 B'way, h 244
Havemeyer William F. v. pres. 112 Wall, h
Havemeyers & Elder Sugar Refining
He was born in 1856 in Staunton, Illinois where he gained experience in coal mining before moving to the Saginaw Valley to explore the valley’s geological formation where he believed coal could be mined. He arrived in Saginaw in 1876 and accepted a position as Saginaw County Circuit Court stenographer, a position he held for four years. He later graduated from law school at the University of Michigan. He then was engaged as a secretary for Saginaw attorney William L Webber before opening his own office in 1892. Promoter of the Michigan sugarbeet industry. Developed stratagems to bring the prospective beet growers together with prospective investors during the 1890s. He was a principal in the Saginaw Coal Company, the Prairie Farm, Heinz Pickle, Saginaw Plate Glass and Valley Telephone Company, and shareholder and director of Saginaw Sugar Company. For his efforts he was hailed as one of the “fathers” of the Michigan sugarbeet industry.
Vice-president of operations – Monitor Sugar Company (1974-1995). Born in Germany 1936.
First Superintendent under the reorganized Michigan Sugar Company’s Bay City Sugar Company factory in 1906. In 1911 he was appointed General Superintendent with responsibility for all of Michigan Sugar’s factories. He held the position for a few weeks but then approached W. H. Wallace, and announced that W. H. Hoodless, the superintendent of the Crosswell factory was better qualified for the responsibility. Accordingly, Wallace gave the job to Hoodless who held it until early 1913 when he resigned to take a similar job with a raw cane refinery in Pennsylvania. The job was again offered to Hopkins who then accepted it. Unfortunately, he would die shortly after the second appointment. In getting off a streetcar in front of his house in
Superintendent of Michigan Sugar Company’s Crosswell factory.
General Superintendent for Michigan Sugar Company, 1911-1913
Began his career as one of the initial workers at Caro Sugar Company in 1901. He was assigned to the evaporator station. He followed the custom of staying on after his 12-hour shift to study the operations of other stations. In that way he mastered the battery diffuser, carbonation station, and several other stations. In 1907 he proposed boiling out the evaporators one effect at a time, without shutting down. Plant Superintendent Wetstein feared the idea would bring about contamination in the evaporators, thus declined the suggestion. When Wetstein was succeeded by Sullivan the following year, the idea was given a chance and was so successful that it became standard operating procedure. In 1920, while working at Great Western Sugar Company, he pioneered the use of filters as settlers ahead of the vacuum filters. It became Great Western practice to train future superintendents and master mechanics in Hooper’s district.
Member of the Marine City Citizens Committee formed for the purpose of attracting investors to
President of Packard Motor Car Company, Henry Joy was an original founder of the Peninsular Sugar Refining Company in
Kaltschmidt, AlbertLeased in 1917 the Marine City beet factory, which had been closed since 1913, appointed himself president and began organizing a management team. Before completing the task, however, he was arrested for involvement in terrorists activities on behalf of Germany. This was taken from the New York Times, April 7, 1917:
References: New York Times, April 7, 1917, and Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, Fall 2005, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
A pioneer teacher at the fledgling
Son of John M. Kelton. Employed by West Bay Sugar Company during its first campaign. Was timekeeper. Later, became vice-president and superintendent, a position he held until his death in 1928. He served
He was born in
In public affairs Dr. Kennedy was considered one of the most public-spirited men in central Michigan, being one of the originators of the Lansing & St. Louis Electric railway, as well as an energetic promoter of the municipal water-works, electric lighting plant and sewerage system. He was one of the earliest promoters of the St. Louis sugar factory and the St. Louis chemical works—two of the largest and most successful industrial concerns in the State.
Kilby, Daniel Joseph (May, 1870-March 17, 1931)Born in
Kilby, Joseph Franklin (Feb 22, 1847- July 12, 1914)Born in
Kohn established the Kilby standard factory arrangement. He was responsible for the “Goller” style of beet cutter. The 100-inch disc with 16 knife boxes of one 17-1/4 cutting edge each and operating at 38 rpm was rated at 700 tons per day.
Joseph Kohn was the general superintendent of the Owosso Sugar Company and served as a consultant to the directors of German-American Sugar Company in 1902.
Larrowe, James Erwin (1863-December,1943)
President, Larrowe-Vallez Construction Company and various sugar factories.
Lewis, George Felix
Construction Engineer, Bay City Sugar Company’s factoryConstruction Engineer, Macomb Sugar Company’s
Construction Engineer, Menominee Sugar Company
Master Mechanic employed at a glucose plant in
Co-founder of Sebewaing Sugar Company. Liken, a native of Lower Saxony in northwestern Germany met Wallburga, the woman who would become his wife, in Binghamton, New York. She was a native of Bavaria. John Liken had arrived in Binghamton after working for his passage aboard a sailing vessel. Once in America, he put his training as a cooper to work while at the same time studying with an observant eye the business practices and opportunities in his new country. After the birth of their fourth child, Emma, in 1864, who joined her siblings, Mary, born in 1856, Hannah born in 1858, and Charles, born in 1859, John and Walburga moved the family to Sebewaing, Michigan, a Lutheran settlement that was attracting anglers, farmers and timber men. The town’s population upon his arrival in 1865 was insufficient to proclaim it a village. John established a sawmill in which he made barrel staves. Later, he would develop retail outlets, a creamery, granaries, and ships, incorporating in one person a source for all the goods and services required by the local farming community. The cream and crops, he placed on boats and shipped some thirty miles along the Saginaw Bay shoreline to Bay City, a bustling and growing city where the daily demand for groceries grew apace with its burgeoning population. In was in this connection, shipping, that he became acquainted with ship owner Captain Benjamin Boutell and it was through Captain Boutell that he would learn about sugar opportunities.
A pioneer chemist. He was first employed in the
Draftsman and chemist. Chief chemist at St. Louis factory and Holland factories. Chief chemist and assistant superintendent at Ottawa, Ohio factory, also Green Bay, Wisconsin. On the operating staff at Mt. Clemens in 1925-1926. Joined Sebewaing as an assistant superintendent in 1937, retired in 1953.
Born in Kristiansana, Norway. Graduated from Technical College in Oslo, Norway followed by three years at a sugar institute in Germany. Immigrated to the U.S in 1906 then worked for the American Sugar Refining Company in Philadelphia and Jersey City. Was engaged as a chemist at the Menominee Sugar Company in 1907 and remained there throughout his career, advancing to Superintendent not only of the Menominee factory but also one in Green Bay and Menominee Falls, Wisconsin. He retired in 1951. He married the former Margaret May Root of Menominee in 1913. Resided at 1415 7th Street, Menominee.
Lucius Lyon was born near Burlington, Vt., trained as a civil engineer, and in 1821 went to
Married Ida S. Sears, born 1856, in 1888. Children Charles, 1890, Harold, 1894, Edwin, 1897. Charles M. McLean was born in Michigan to parents born in England. Ida and her parents were born in New York. He was superintendent of schools for the city of Holland, Michigan when the Holland sugar factory was built. He then became its superintendent and later became superintendent of the combined Holland and St.Louis, Michigan beet sugar factories. He sometimes cited as President of St. Louis Sugar Company, and often cited as General Manager of both companies. He often advised on the construction and management of other beet sugar factories including the one in Charlevoix and the one in Menominee.
Chief Chemist of Marine City Sugar Company in 1901,
Superintendent Independent Sugar Company (formerly Marine City Sugar Company), 1918
Mitchell, JohnFirst President of Marine City Sugar Company, formerly of
He was born in Painesville, Ohio on October 16, 1857 but spent most of his youth in Fort Scott, Kansas. He in Saginaw, Michigan at the age of 19 where he took employment as a teller at the Second National Bank. His uncle, George W. Morley, was one of the organizers of the bank in 1871. He assumed the presidency of that bank in 1901. He encouraged the founding of the beet sugar industry in
Moxon, William TAssistant Chief Chemist, Marine City Sugar Company, 1901
Chief Chemist and Assistant Superintendent of Macomb Sugar Company, 1903
Musy, Alfred (1851-1916)Alfred Musy was the operator of a sugar beet factory in
He was a member of the Congregational Church in Saginaw. On July 13, 1941, he married Viola Lorene Prillwitz in Benton Harbor; she preceded him in death on May 14, 2010. Survivors include two daughters, Beth Bodley of Dexter, and Linda (Gregory) Anderson of Matawan; three grandchildren. Interment occurred at Roselawn Memorial Gardens in Saginaw.
Neering, Thomas (1890-1958)
He was born September 19, 1890 in
He was master mechanic for West Bay City Sugar Company during its first campaign which began on January 5, 1900. He left for a time to work as a member of crews involved with the construction of other beet sugar factories. He traveled to
NIKAIDO, Yasujuro, author of Beet Sugar Making and its Chemical Control, the Chemical Publishing Company, Easton Pennsylvania, 1909. His parents immigrated from Japan to become beet sugar farmers near Scottsbluff, Iowa; Earned BSc 1897 Nebraska Wesleyan University. Chief Chemist, Owosso Sugar Company, 1903.
North, Donald O (1901-1970)He was born August 15, 1901 in
Was the chief chemist of Michigan’s pioneer sugar factory at Essexville. Was factory manager at East Tawas and later at Lansing.
He was a dealer in pine and farm lands. In 1869, he received a bushel of sugarbeet seed from the immigration commissioner who was touring Germany. He distributed the seed but received no response from the farmers. Fifteen years later, Joseph Seeman returned from a trip to
Peffer, Elwood (1875-1902)Elwood Peffer was born in Kansas in 1872, the son of the honorable William Alfred Peffer and Sarah Jane Barber. He was the Assistant Superintendent of the Bay City Sugar Company about 1901. Previously was Superintendent of a sugar factory in
A chemist with the Wolverine Sugar Company in Benton Harbor, Michigan, 1902
General Manager and Superintendent of Columbia Sugar Company’s Paulding,
Was the chemist on the day shift for the 1902 campaign at German-American Sugar Company.
Major founding shareholder Owosso Sugar Company. Was chairman of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. Born in
Pfund, Oscar J (1898-1984)Employed at Monitor Sugar company from 1915 until his retirement in 1964, lastly serving as the factory Superintendent.
Prouty, CalvinCo-superintendent of construction of the St.Louis, Michigan beet sugar factory.
Reed, William B (1882-1959)He was born April 6, 1882 in
Salich, Emil -Erected the Grand Island Sugar Company for
Erected the Eddy,
Erected the Essexville sugar factory for Michigan Sugar Company in 1898
Construction Engineer for Macomb Sugar Company’s
Sandmann, BennoFactory Superintendent, Bay City Sugar Company. During its first campaign, factory performance was so poor that thought was given to condemning the factory. Benno Sandmann who then working for Belle Alliance, a cane refinery in
1900 – director of Marine City Sugar Company, 1902- Secretary-Treasurer and general manager. Was Mayor of Marine City, Michigan, 1900, died 1916. Daughter, Mrs. John Weng,
Schwieren, Hans J. ( December 6,1935-July 24, 2005)
Hans J. Schwieren was born on December 6, 1935 in Elsdorf, Germany, the son of Johann and Katherina (Mertens) Schwieren. He married Evelin Paulick on February 2, 1959. The couple became the parents of three children, Bernd, Gabriele and Christina. He began his career in the sugar industry at a beet sugar factory in Elsdorf, Germany, where his grandfather, father, and brother also worked. From there he joined a manufacturer of sugar equipment and helped construct factories in Israel, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Greece, Italy, Austria, Pakistan, Venezuela, Mexico, Finland, Chile, and Canada. He entered the United States in 1964 to engage in the construction of a beet factory in Rupert, Idaho and made a permanent move to the United States in 1971. He was acknowledged by all who knew him as the most informed sugar manufacturing technologist they had ever encountered. He died July 24, 2005 in Bay City, Michigan.
Superintendent Croswell Sugar Factory, owned by Michigan Sugar Company - 1914
Schmitt, William F – 1876-
An engineer employed by James Larrowe, Secretary of Sebewaing Sugar Company, married Emma Bach, born 1883, son, Paul born 1904, Daughter, Hannah, born 1905, Elsa, born 1910. Was manager of the Sebewaing factory in 1906-1912. He joined Continental Sugar Company in 1912 as head of the agricultural department and remained active until after 1954.
Schmoedler, PaulHe was the first of two foremen at West Bay Sugar Company after it was constructed in 1899.
Factory Superintendent for the second of five processing seasons for Detroit Sugar Company’s
In the booklet An Apocryphal Story of the HB Resort Assoc.
Page #16 1911 was the year also that Home #3 named "Broad Hearth' was built for Capt Gilmore Scranton who was married to GJ's sister anna Belle Jenks. The house was according to Brigit, George' greatest accomplishment in architecture. It does have a magnificent ambiance, with its solid log construction of the 1st floor and a stucco and beam 2nd floor. It has 8 bedrooms & 7 1/2 baths with 7 fireplaces in all. One of the main support beams stretches end to end of the long expansive house - a mighty tall tree. The stair threads are solid logs. It houses a secret staircase and a wall cupboard in the dining room is hidden too. It is an impressive sight in its setting of spacious lawns and large trees.
GJ is George Jenks and Brigit his wife
He promoted the idea of growing sugarbeets in
Joseph Seeman was born in Goerkau, Bohemia on December 25, 1845. He immigrated to the
He married Mary Pauline Sandmann on May 4, 1869. The couple bore no children.
Sieland, Charles (September 2, 1865 -
Born September 2, 1865 in Diedorf, Saxony, Germany, the second eldest of the nine children of Henry and
Fathered 13 children, two from his first wife Thressa Knapke whom he married in 1897 in California and who died in Bay City, Michigan in 1901. In 1903 at
Son of P.C. Smith, one of seven founders of West Bay City Sugar Company. Was treasurer of Bay County in 1900.
Co-founder, with his brother Peter C. Smith and Mendel J. Bialy, among others, of West Bay City Sugar Company in 1898.
Founding shareholder of Menominee River Sugar Company, owned 7,500 of the original 82,500 shares issued. Was a butcher by occupation but invested his profits in the lumber industry, eventually owning a saw mill for processing white pine. He was an incorporator of the Stephenson National Bank of
President of Menominee River Sugar Company. 1902. (first president)
New Brunswick, December 23, 1831. Brother of Isaac Stephenson. Republican. Member of Michigan state house of representatives from Delta District, 1877-78; member of Michigan state senate 31st District, 1879-80, 1885-86; Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1880; delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1880 (alternate), 1884; U.S. Representative from Michigan, 1889-97 (11th District 1889-93, 12th District 1893-97). Died in Menominee, Menominee County,
STEPHENSON, Samuel Merritt, a Representative from Michigan; born in Hartland, in Carleton County, New Brunswick, Canada, December 23, 1831; moved with his parents to Maine, and later, in 1846, to Delta County, Mich., and engaged in lumbering; moved to Menominee, Mich., in 1858; interested in real estate, lumbering, general merchandising, and agricultural pursuits; was chairman of the board of supervisors of Menominee County for several years; member of the State house of representatives in 1877 and 1878; served in the State senate in 1879, 1880, 1885, and 1886; delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1884 and 1888; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1889-March 3, 1897); resumed the lumber business; died in Menominee, Mich., July 31, 1907; interment in Riverside Cemetery.
M. Bay City Commander of Knights Templar, and Elf Khrafeh Shrine and
Merlin Grotto. The couple had a daughter, Amelia. Interred
George L. S. and Marcia Sutherland. When a young man he came to
After marriage they lived in
was employed by the Marine Iron Co. and the Boutell Steel Barge Co. In
1911 they came to
A. M, of
M. Bay City Commandery of Knights Templar, and Elf Khrafeh Shrine and
Me3rlin Grotto. He leaves his widow and one daughter, Miss Amelia B.
Sutherland and two sisters. Mrs. Russell Wallace,
Mrs R. S. Genet,
p.m. Monday at his home and services will be under the auspices of Bay
City Commandery Knights Templar. Burial will be in Forest Lawn.”
Monday at her home
born Aug. 16 1862 in
Sutherland died Dec. 21, 1928. She was a member of Amea M. E. church.
She is survived by one daughter, Miss Amelia Sutherland, at home. The
funeral will take place at 2:30 p.m., Wednesday at the home. Rev.
Clifford E. Doty will officiate and the body will be placed in Oakwood
Towar, Perry G (1855- October 8, 1906)
Vallez, Henry - (1871-1964)
Henri Andre Vallez was born April 1, 1871 at Briastre,
Department du Nord, France. He graduated in 1889 from Ecole Des Arts et Metiers at Chalons Sur Marne, Department
Marne, France. Upon completing his education he immediately departed
Chemist – Alvarado Sugar
Chemist – Grand Island Sugar
Chemist –Lehi Sugar Company,
Superintendent – Lehi Sugar Company,
Superintendent – Binghampton Sugar Company,
Superintendent – Michigan Sugar Company, 1899,
Triple Osmosis system for removing sugar from molasses, about 1899. System installed in approximately 21 sugar beet factories.
Vallez paper pulp filtering system, first installed at
Vallez rotating leaf-filter
Pulp dryer (A popular addition to
Was the first to employ the use of paper bags for sugar. Purpose was to overcome objections to the presence of burlap in sugar.
Developed concept of “Cold Boiling” whereby he heated the syrup from the centrifugals to melt the grain then introduced air to grow the crystals large enough to become separated from in the centrifugals. The process was widely adopted and remains in use.
Inventor of the Zeolite Process for recovering sugar from molasses, 1942, Isabella Sugar Company.
Sources for the foregoing includes correspondence from Henry Vallez to W. E. Kraybill, American Crystal Sugar Company, December 5, 1949 (acquired from Sue David of Bay City, Michigan) sundry United States Patent applications, Daniel Gutleben’s travel log, November 10-14, 1942, Daniel Gutleben’s Sugar Tramp-1954, and the Bay City Times, February 27, 1964.
In 1882-83 Mr. Vandercook held the office of clerk of
He established the St. Louis Spy in 1878, he continued that publication but a few weeks, then establishing the St. Louis Leader, which he published until 1883, when it was sold to E. S. Hoskins. Mr. Vandercook then removed to
Mr. Vandercook maintained a one hundred and twenty-acre farm near the city of St. Louis. Source for some of the information: Biographical Memoirs - JB Beers & Co., Chicago, IL 1906
Vaupre, EliBorn in
Superintendent Marine City Sugar Company,
Eli Vaupre was reputed to have, during business hours, a
stern demeanor and in those cases where his orders had not been carefully
followed, a fiery impatience. The
founding of the beet sugar industry coincided with the demise of
. Marine City, Michigan
In 1909, Eli Vaupre accepted the position of Superintendent for the Charlevoix, Michigan factory. The factory was in its fourth year and not progressing well because of a combination of a low investment and lassitude for beets on the part of farmers. Vaupre’s service ended two years later when the owners decided to dismantle the factory and remove it from Michigan. He accompanied the equipment to
Volter, AloisServed as a superintendent at Michigan Sugar Company 1899-1900
With Alexander Zagelmeyer, founded the German-American Beet Sugar Company in 1901. Was its first superintendent.
Volter, OttokarAlois Volter's son. Engaged as an operator in a number of beet sugar factories.
Wallace, William Henry (September 17, 1861-July 29, 1933)
Son of Robert and Margaret Ellen (Deegan) Wallace. His father was a native of Armagh, Ireland, having emigrated to Canada in 1850 then to the United States, settling in Grindstone City where he owned and operated a grindstone manufacturing enterprise. William attended business school in Detroit, Michigan but gave up his studies to take a job on a Great Lakes lumber freighter after which he spent some time in a lumber camp. He then took employment as a salesman for his father’s grindstone business, a position that entailed much travel. After a time, he surrendered that position to become a school teacher in Port Austin, Michigan. During that period of his life, he studied the natural resources of the region, becoming aware of business opportunities in quarrying limestone. He then met William Webber of Saginaw who was managing the Jesse Hoyt estate and seeking new opportunities in Huron County. A common interest in Huron County business opportunities brought about a meeting between Webber and Wallace which led to the construction of Saginaw, Tuscola, & Huron Railway and the founding of a quarry near Bay Port.
William Henry Wallace was the Co-Founder of the Sebewaing Sugar Company, president of Michigan Sugar Company, co-founder and president of Wallace & Morley Company, co-founder and president of Bay Port Fish Company, co-founder and president of banks in Bay Port, Fairgrove, and Tawas, Michigan, a director and vice-president of the Second National Bank, Saginaw, member of the state board of agriculture appointed in 1909 and 1915, Chairman of the state Conservation Commission. He also served as a delegate to Republican National Conventions in 1908, 1916, and 1924. Married his first wife on September 17, 1883 to Francis Elizabeth Harding. Five children resulted from that marriage: Nellie (born 1885; married Walter P. Maner) Isabel (born 1886; married Ray P. Chatfield), Robert Nicholas (born 1887), Francis Elizabeth (born 1890), and William Henry Wallace, Junior (born 1893). Second wife was Margaret Ellen McIntyre of Huron City, Michigan, daughter of Donald McIntyre. Two children resulted from the second marriage: Ora Marie (born 1895; married John Walter Symons, Junior) and Catharine Margaret Wallace (born 1901; married Gordon Mackenzie Guilbert).
Died as a result of a head injury resulting from an automobile accident which took place on July 25, 1933, two miles south of Sebewaing.
Wanless, Clayton (1870-1951)He was born December 1, 1870 in
Warren, Charles Beecher (April 10, 1870- February 3, 1936)
Held key positions in several Michigan sugar companies and aided the “Sugar
Trust” in acquiring many of them. Served as President of Michigan Sugar Company
from 1904 until 1925. Day to day operations, however, were under the direction
of William Wallace. Warren was born in Bay City, Bay County, Michigan April 10, 1870. He was a member of the Bering Sea Commission, 1897, serving under Judge Patnum, chief
arbitrator, also on the commission were Robert Lansing and Don M.
Dickinson. Republican. Delegate to Republican National Convention from
Michigan, 1908 (alternate), 1912 (alternate), 1916 (alternate), 1924, 1928, 1932; member of Republican
National Committee from Michigan, 1912; President of the Detroit
Board of Commerce, 1914-1916, colonel in the U.S. Army during World War I; U.S.
Ambassador to Japan, June 29-1921-January 28, 1922, Mexico, 1924. During his second term, Calvin Coolidge made
several changes in his Cabinet. Charles E. Hughes, secretary of state, left to
serve in the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague in the Netherlands and
was replaced by Frank B. Kellogg. Dwight F. Davis was appointed secretary of war
when John W. Weeks resigned. Coolidge tried to appoint sugar-beet magnate
Charles B. Warren as attorney general, but the Senate voted against him twice. He was first nominated on January 10, 1925,
then re-nominated on March 5, 1925 and rejected by the senate on March 10,
1925. He was nominated again on March
12, 1925 and rejected on March 16 by a vote of 46-39. When
the Senate voted on the confirmation of Charles B. Warren as Attorney General
in 1925, Dawes fell asleep. The vote was a tie. Vice President Dawes, had he
been awake, would have cast the deciding vote, but, instead, ~ a major
Presidential nominee went down to defeat for the first time in 60 years.
Outside the Dawes' hotel, a ~ wag put up a sign: DAWES SLEPT HERE. The Senate, considering that Warren had been
connected with the " Sugar Trust," rejected him, 41 to 39 . Not until 80 years later
would an appointee to the attorney general post receive so few minority party
votes in the senate. That occurred when
Anthony Gonzales was confirmed to the post by a senate vote of 60-36 in April,
He married Helen Hunt Wetmore (1873-1941), she was prominent in the
Republican Party as was Charles.
Children: Charles Beecher,
Junior, 1906-1952, John Buhl Warren, May 4, 1914-August 15, 1957, Wetmore
Warren November 17, 1903-Jan 20, 1920, Robert Warren, 1907-1960.
Weadock, John C. (About 1860-September 10, 1950 )
WEADOCK, Thomas A. E. (1850-1938) Lawyer; born, Ireland, Jan. I, 1850; son of Lewis and Mary (Cullen) Weadock; came to America with parents, 1850; educated in district school in Ohio and St. Mary's Union School; married, 1874, Mary E. Tarsney, who died, 1889; again, in 1893, Nannie E. Curtiss. Studied law, was admitted to the bar and began practice at
Superintendent of construction of the St. Louis, Michigan factory. Supervised the construction of 31 sugar factories in the U.S.
Weise, HermanSuperintendent Macomb Sugar Company, three years,1903-1905. Arrived from
In 1905 he resigned for a similar position at
Weller, William (1888-)Superintendent, Michigan Sugar Company’s Essexville factory, 1901
Assistant Superintendent, German-American Sugar Company, 1902
Superintendent, Macomb Sugar Company,
Superintendent at Blissfield sugar factory, 1945.
Completed the 1947 campaign at Blissfield on November 30, 1947, was stricken with illness on December 1, 1947 and retired.
George Wentworth comes from one of America’s oldest families. His ancestor, William Wentworth is listed as one of the original members of the town of
He was born in Maine on October 28, 1842. At the age of 19 he enlisted in the army and served three years. Afterwards, he joined his brother Justin in the lumber business in Michigan. By 1869 he and Justin shared equal interest in a thriving lumber business. On June 10, 1878, he married Maggie Hamilton of
In addition to overseeing the lumber enterprise, George Wentworth was president of Portland Lumber Company, located in Oregon.
Justin Wentworth is one of the founders of the company that became Monitor Sugar Company. He was an original bondholder. He was the fourth president of German-American Sugar Company (1907-1914) and was a director during the years 1901-1914.
He, along with John C. Ross, Henry Vallez, and E. Wilson Cressey, represented German-American Sugar Company in negotiations with the leaders of Paulding, Ohio that led to the construction of a modern sugar factory in that community in 1910.
Justin Wentworth came from one of America’s oldest families. His ancestor, William Wentworth is listed as one of the original members of the town of
He was born in Knox County, Maine near the town of Hope on March 7, 1834, the son of Leonard and Mary (Arnold) Wentworth.
On September 1, 1855, at the age of 21, Justin Wentworth proceeded to Tuscola County, Michigan where he worked for a monthly salary for four years. After saving a sufficient sum, he entered farming where he remained for five years before exchanging the small holding for a larger farm. He farming activity was in conjunction with other business interests. He had begun lumbering on his own account as early as 1860, doing an extensive business in buying and selling logs. In 1868 he formed a partnership with his brother, George, one that would last until his death 46 years later. . Eventually the partnership expanded to the ownership of timber lands throughout
Justin Wentworth was married twice. The first marriage, to Sophronia Merrill (1841-1876) of Brewer,
Norris Wentworth followed his father into the lumber business by joining John C. Ross to form the partnership of Ross & Wentworth. Lloyd became the Vice-President and General Manger of Portland Lumber Company in Oregon. George and William did not survive past the age of 21. His second marriage was to Susie L. Teller of Vassar. Two children resulted from the second marriage, Hazel and Harold.
WENTWORTH,JUSTIN - WENTWORTH,TELLER,SUSAN M TELLER,BAY,,27 AUG 1884
The son of Justin Wentworth, an early president of the German-American Sugar Company (formed in 1901) (later named the Columbia Sugar Company (1917) and then later the Monitor Sugar Company (1932)). Norris was made a director of the German-American Sugar Company in 1917. Served as director, 1909-1931 and vice-president, 1917-1924. Also a principal in the lumber firm of Ross and Wentworth (partner was John C. Ross who also served as president of Columbia Sugar Company (1916-1929)).
Norris married Martha Agnew of Grand Rapids. Two children, John and Lloyd J.
He served as President of the YMCA and was a 32nd Degree Mason. He also was a charter member of the original Bay City Exchange and was elected city commissioner in 1926 where he served three terms. He died of a heart attack at his home
Wheeler, Frank W (March 2, 1853 - August 9, 1921)
One of the founding members of Michigan Sugar Company in 1897. With Thomas Cranage, he toured
Wolf, Frederick W Sugar Tramp-1954 page 31Indentured as blacksmith in his hometown in Germany. Matriculated at the Polytechnicum for a four-year term, graduating in 1859. He then joined a sugar machinery construction company located in Magdeburger, Germany. In 1867 he immigrated to the
Wolfbaur, HowardFirst Superintendent of Mount Clemens Sugar Company, one year, 1902.
Founder of Alma Sugar Company, also listed among first farmers of Michigan Sugar Company even though he was a wealthy industrialist who resided in the city of Saginaw. He was the son of Nathan and Mary Wright, born the seventh of ten children. He was born in Grafton, Vermont. Married Harriet Barton on March 6, 1848. Their son, Ammi Barton Wright was born a year later. The family moved to Michigan in 1850 and entered the lumber business. He accumulated a fortune in lumber, ranching in Texas and Montana, and manufacturing in Michigan. Harriet died in 1884, three children from that marriage died before Harriet died. He signed a beet contract with Michigan Sugar Company when he was 76 years old, making him one of Michigan’s first beet farmers.
Walter D. Young was born on September 25, 1855 in
He began his career as a clerk in his father’s bank, a position that led him eventually to the presidency of the Bay City Brewing Company and leadership posts in a number of Bay City industries including, coal, ice, lumber and sugar. He founded the W.D. Young and Company and the Young Brothers Building Company and in so doing headed the largest hardwood manufacturing company in the
Walter D. Young was twice married. In 1878, he married Florence E. Blanchett. The only issue of the marriage was Fannie Young who later settled in
When the sugar beet industry was in its infancy, he was among the first to recognize that Bay City, Michigan held the potential for becoming the center of sugar beet production in the United States. He served as a director since the founding of German-American Sugar Company. He became the company’s vice-president in 1907 and served in that capacity until the death of the then existing president, Justin Wentworth, in 1914. He then assumed the presidency but held the post only a short while because he died suddenly of pneumonia on December 23, 1916. He was 61.
Alexander Zagelmeyer inspired the founding of German-American Sugar Company. He was its first President. He and his brother, Frank Zagelmeyer, with the aid of Alois Volter, persuaded area farmers to form the first sugarbeet cooperative in the United States. The cooperative named, German-American Farmers Cooperative Beet Sugar Company. Within a short time, the company evolved into the German-American Sugar Company. In 1916, through a name change, it became Columbia Sugar Company and in 1932 was renamed, Monitor Sugar Company and in 2005 came under the ownership of Michigan Sugar Company.
He was born October 28, 1858 in Saginaw, Michigan. He moved to
He married Emma Brenner of Saginaw on April 3, 1881. They became the parents of four children, Alma, Eddie, Leona and Dorothy. For three years, Zagelmeyer was Supervisor of the Fifth Ward in Bay City. Previously, he had served two years as Comptroller of West Bay City and served one term as a member of the Michigan State Legislature (1889-90) and also served as the Treasurer of Bay County.